Friday, October 24, 2008

Don't Trust the Polls

I am spending too much time obsessing over the polling data. As a self professed fivethirtyeight.com junky I enjoy soaking up Nate Silver's latest daily regression of the polls and the matching pretty graphics. Today's composite chart from Pollster.com is crack for the eyes. The familiar spread continues to widen with the last few says of the trend pointing in almost opposite directions. That's a damn work of art.


Sure things look good for Obama and bad for McCain right now. The polls have add for election observer's and make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Don't take solace in the polls though. There is still a lot of campaign left and I won't feel safe until this one is in the bag on November 5th. My worst nightmare is having one of those Bush 2004 hangovers the day after the election. Except this year it would be a head splitting Palin migraine from hell.

Staring at poll data doesn't do anything to get one additional vote. So close out of Firefox or IE7 (dummy) and get off your collective butts. Walk away from the Internets and go early vote (only once) or knock on some doors for the Obama campaign. The stupid little pie charts on fivethirteight aren't going anywhere trust me, I keep checking.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: