Thursday, May 21, 2009

Scenes From Mall B

Mall B in downtown Cleveland is slated to be torn up and replaced with a raised (not razed) mall space once the Medical Mart project gets underway . This ideally situated strip of green space is part thorougfare and part urban park that is a haven for lunchtime solace. It will be missed for many reasons including the assortment of people and activity that create a much needed break from the dreary confines of downtown cube farms,


Gone will be the walkers, landscapers and the lunchtime gatherings. No more bike messengers meeting for a quick smoke break.

I sometimes talk with a guy who combs the lunch time crowd one person at time asking for spare change. He usually gets cross looks or terse denials. I often engage him, I'll call him Joe, in brief conversations:

Me: This is my favorite time of year. The weather is enjoyable and not too hot.

Joe: I don't have problems with the weather, just individuals. Like myself.

My phone rings and Joe walks away.

The mall will be cease to serve its current role as a collection point for office workers and Joes for awhile. The hole (literally) left in its place will change the dynamic of downtown.

Roldo has a gloomier take on downtown in his most recent post.

No comments: