Monday, May 18, 2009

Convention Busting Bumpers

I've had a chance to catch some of the media coverage of Obama's commencement speech at Notre Dame. The piece in the NYT was decent. It did seem to reference the common use of graphic imagery on the part of the anti-abortion protesters. The rampant hyperbole used to describe the president's supposed hatred for the unborn was a close second.

Opposition to abortion on religious grounds is not hard to understand. What I have always been troubled with is the primacy placed on this one issue above all other moral questions. Wars built on lies and unbridled greed don't rile the lifers as much these days.

Making the daily drive up to Cleveland today I noticed a car with two bumper stickers. The sticker on the left side read, "Former Fetus Opposed to Abortion". Prominently displayed on the upper right bumper was an Obama 08 sticker.

There it was, a glaring contradiction to the conventional wisdom purveyed by the insurrectionists at Notre Dame. Pro-life is more than a stance on abortion. Supporting a Democrat for president and opposing abortion do not have to be mutually exclusive beliefs. Obama didn't manage to win an election and not grab a portion of the devout Christian vote.

Now, I don't wear my bumper stickers on my sleeve but that driver was a voter I can respect.

No comments: