Monday, February 16, 2009

Academics Plotting Coup In Akron 8

I will not buy my milk and paper towels at the West Point Market. In fact I may not even buy a gourmet dessert there if I so choose. I refuse to own a cat and I will not stop reading the online version of the New York Times.

Life in Akron's ward eight neighborhood could be changing soon. City Council has appointed Raymond Cox III, a University of Akron professor, to the ward eight council seat. Cox is replacing Bob Keith, a humble business owner who vacated the seat to become council clerk (and increase his PERS retirement payout) last month.

Ward eight appears to be home to an inordinate amount of U of A professors. They come for the charming Tudor homes and proximity to Stan Hywet Hall. Nothing beats being within walking distance to Ohio Mart. Now one of their own is about to consolidate their power over the fiefdom.

Cox, According to the West Side Leader, is a professor of public administration. That doesn't bode well for ward eight. I happen to have an MPA and know all about the academics in that field of study.

They feel like they have something to prove. Public administration is stuck in a hopeless pursuit of finding an identity. Come on, the giant name in P.A. was a guy named Dwight Waldo. His last name was Waldo. I had a prof. in graduate school lecture us not on the virtue of public service but on the evils of comma misuse in our writing.

With Cox in power we are sure to see all kinds of crazy ideas of good governance being offered up at council meetings. He may even look beyond the details and focus on the policy aspect of the job. There could be more to council than allocating new sidewalk work and paving streets. That will probably ruffle some egos on council.

What's next? Block watch parties where Tapas is served? Will the ward be divided up along academic lines? The social sciences given free reign over the ward and the other studies forced to stay north of Garman Rd.?

I accept the professor's new authority but I don't have to like it. I refuse to bring a chair to music in the park, I will not go to Ohio Mart...

No comments: