Friday, July 03, 2009

From The Beach To The Moon

Vive Le Tour!

The 96th edition of the greatest of all bike races kicks off in Monte Carlo tomorrow. Free up space on your DVR and settle in for the next three weeks.
This year's TDF offers a time trial in Monaco, a relapse of the notorious team time trial, a slew of classic climbs and of course the penultimate stage finish on Mt.Ventoux. That one will be epic.

The smart money is on 2007 champ Alberto Contador who is a teammate of The Boss, Lance Armstrong. I doubt the seven time winner will be able to contend in this field but I wouldn't be surprised to see him steal a stage or time trial win. My guess is that he will be relegated to super domestique for most of the tour.

My top three in no particular order:

1. Alberto Contador - has to be the favorite even though he missed last year
2. Cadel Evans - cuddles has been quiet so far but look for him to be in the hunt.
3. Andy Schleck - I think the younger of the brothers Schelck has GC potential this year.

I would put the over under on positive doping tests at three.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you write.